Are you in the mood for s’more marshmallows? Today’s your lucky day! August 30 is National Toasted Marshmallow Day!
We recently celebrated National S’mores Day, and actually did so without ever toasting a marshmallow. I guess this is payback for taking the easy way out, huh? Though in our defense it was late, had been a long day, and we’d just returned from a food festival in downtown Portland. We weren’t really in the mood to go all out and toast our own marshmallows. This time, we have no choice, as toasting is a prerequisite for the holiday. It’s right there in the name and everything.
Contrary to the name, we didn’t want some more S’mores. The other day, Tara mentioned craving Rice Krispie Treats. That’s when inspiration hit: could we make toasted marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats?! According to the internet, the answer was a resounding yes. Yes, we could. So we found a recipe and did just that.
We’ve got guests visiting from Sacramento this weekend, too. Lucky them – they’ll be privy to our food holidays for the next three days. The toasted marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats were a hit, so we’re off to a good start!
Here’s the recipe:
Toasted Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
How to Make
- Grease a 9×9 pan lightly with cooking spray.
- In small saucepan over medium-low heat melt butter. Continue cooking butter, swirling pan until it becomes a nice brown color (this will take about 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Transfer browned butter into a large bowl or pot where you will be able to easily stir your Rice Krispie Treats together, and set aside.
- Turn oven onto broil.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread your marshmallows onto lined baking sheet.
- Place under broiler for 45 seconds to 1 minute until marshmallows are puffed and deeply golden. Watch them closely because they will burn quickly.
- Using a rubber spatula lightly greased with cooking spray, immediately scrape marshmallows into bowl with butter. Stir to combine quickly. Pour Rice Krispies into toasted marshmallow mix and stir to combine.
- Press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Allow to cool before cutting into squares and serving.
- Bailey’s Dipped Toasted Marshmallows (cookbookmanila.wordpress.com)
- Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream (thesuburbansoapbox.com)
- S’More Disappointed… (lifewithlorelai.wordpress.com)
Sounds yummy! I’m going to have to try these. Pinned 🙂
Thanks for the Link Love too.
Life With Lorelai